Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Words inspired by Whitman's "Poets to Come"

Poets to Come

Poets to come! orators, singers, musicians to come!
Not to-day is to justify me and answer what I am for,
But you, a new brood, native, athletic, continental, greater than before
      known,
Arouse! for you must justify me.

I myself but write one or two indicative words for the future,
I but advance a moment only to wheel and hurry back in the darkness.

I am a man who, sauntering along without fully stopping, turns a casual
       look upon you and then averts his face,
Leaving it to you to prove and define it,
Expecting the main things from you. 





Inspired by Poets to Come:

Who are the poets to come? The orators, singers musicians to come? 
This wild noble crowd of your new brood, native, athletic, continental,
If such a power greater than before known would be
   mine,
I shall arouse, and justify you.

If not to-day is to justify me,
Myself, as you say - 
I will answer for you.

I the justifier spell (spill) a few
imploring words onto my page,
and return as you once did back to the hiding place of the unknown.

I heard the indicative words you wrote for the future
  and for me.
I almost saw your face when you sauntered past, like the 
aged god of renaissance, common man, grandfather,

Because your new brood of familiar kin,
Once lived to justify you.

1 comment:

  1. I like the way you address this poem to Whitman. "I hear the indicative words you wrote for the future" sounds Whitmanesque.And nice how you almost capture a glimpse of him at the end.

    ReplyDelete